Purpose and Goal
I built this project as part of a Mobile Web Specialist practice project for the Google Africa Developer Scholarship 2020. The task was to create a weather app where users can get weather information in real-time. The aesthetics of the website were 100% inspired by this design created by Arthur K.
The website had to meet the following technical requirements:
- The website must meet the PWA criteria i.e
- Be able to register a service worker and provide offline access to cached weather searches.
- Must have a web app manifest to allow installation on the user’s device.
- Must meet the web accessibility guidelines found here.
- Save prior searches on local storage to make the weather results persist on the page when a user reloads.
- The website must be responsive on all screens.
The most important lessons learned while working on this project involved my newfound understanding of developing PWAs. That includes service workers, creating a web app manifest, localStorage Web API, responsive web design (RWD) with CSS media queries, Version control (Git + GitHub), hosting on Firebase, external API integration, and Web accessibility.